How to adopt a healthy life style at work
In today’s society, it is important to stay healthy and professionally active as long as possible. We will have to work longer before we can enjoy a well-deserved retirement pension. Falling ill and having to absent yourself regularly from work just because you have too many doctors’ appointment scheduled is no fun. It is important to see your doctor for yearly check-up’s, if it weren’t just to hear them say: “You are alive and kicking, let’s not see each other again before next year!”
A healthy life style in a work environment could avoid a lot of complaints, sickness and absents. For some people it requires some effort but it soon becomes a “healthy habit”, and by stimulating each other among colleagues, this could lead to funny challenges. Just to give you an example: there is the Tournée Minerale, an entire month during which colleagues support each other while going for an alcohol-free month.
By welcoming the following 10 practical tips into your life, you will notice a clear difference in both your physical as mental wellbeing and this not only at work. We advise you to start with those tips that seem easy to you and to continue integrating other tips along the way so they all become part of a routine.
- Food: make sure you have some peanuts with you. Whenever you feel hungry, you could just take some of them. They will take away your sense of hunger, give you new energy and make sure you won’t turn to unhealthy snacks. If you do have an urge to sugar, a little peace of dark chocolate could be an alternative.
- Workout: Do not stay too long behind your desks. Ideally, try to get up after 45 minutes and start walking around or do a stretching exercise. If you have a wireless headphone, you could make a phone call while stretching your legs.
- Sense of purpose: After every workday, go over all the positive things that happened. You can write them down in a booklet or use a funny smartphone app. By focussing on positive things, you will get a positive feeling and you will enter an upward spiral. If you do this for a few months you will notice a boost in your mental wellbeing.
- Sleep: Rest enough. This is not possible if you keep on working on your smartphone or computer. We advise you to shut them down at least one hour before you go to sleep. En exception could be when you want to sleep in with some very nice sleeping songs.
- Social support: Try to eat out of office once in while and take lunch with some friends. It will help take your mind of things. Moreover, it will give you new energy to get back to work.
- Environment and health: Use public transport as much us possible and leave your car at home. This keeps you healthy at the same time (e.g. walking towards and from the bus station). Along your way, you will meet a lot of people and you have the opportunity to meet new friends or even do business in an informal way. Moreover, it is a nice way to contribute to the mobility action plan.
- Stress management: It is not always easy to focus while working in open space offices. Put limits in place, and dare to say ‘no’ to your colleagues if they prevent you from concentrating. If you want to feel calmer, you might want to try putting in headphones and listen to calm relaxation music.
- Food (part II): Eat mindfully. Don’t hide yourself behind your desk with your lunch box. When possible take the opportunity to eat outside. Enjoy your lunch, make sure to add vegetables and fruit to your box and enjoy what it!
- Sense of purpose (part II): Define for yourself the meaning of ‘ikigai’. What drives you every morning to get out of bed? What gives your life meaning? Does this correspond with your current professional activities? If this is not the case (anymore), we advise you to search for life’s true purpose.
- Social support (part II): From time to time, do some voluntary work with your colleagues. You could cook, make food packages and distribute them among the homeless and the poor, or you could collect clothes for victims of calamities.
Contact us if you want more tips. There are a bunch of other tips that we at Rainbow Resources Group apply every day. Let us know after 6 months how things are going and whether you feel more energetic at work. We are sure that you will notice a big difference.