Office Manager for the Brussels Office is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the office, including Office Services, Facilities, HR, Finance, Marketing as well as ensuring compliance with all statutory requirements. In addition, the Office Manager supports the Brussels office lawyers (e.g., call coverage for reception, greets and assists clients and visitors) and assists with special projects.
WORK HOURS FOR POSITION:
9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. with 1-hour break, Monday through Friday.
RECEPTION AREA COVERAGE:
- Ensure orderly and tidy condition of reception area, conference rooms and pantry.
- Answer, screen and transfer incoming calls, field inquiries, respond promptly to client needs, email and voicemail.
- Greet, receive, assist clients and visitors.
- Book and manage meeting room(s) on MS Outlook calendar.
- Ensure the office is stocked with refreshments, stationary and other office supplies.
- Pick-up, distribute and send postal mail. Receive and distribute courier deliveries. Prepare for outgoing couriers.
- Manage attorney contact information in the firm’s client relationship management system (InterAction).
May be called upon to do other administrative assignments, such as but not limited to, stuff/label envelopes, order lunches, bind documents, prepare for seminars, do research at request of the lawyers etc.
- Prepare correspondence and file copies. Maintain client and administration files in accordance with firm policy.
- Co-ordinate lawyer diaries.
- Arrange internal and external meetings ensuring conference rooms are scheduled and prepared, for example, refreshments and other office supplies.
- Arrange travel for lawyers, or others as requested.
- Ensure all cost recovery charges are reported (telephone, facsimile, photocopying, couriers, etc.).
- Interface and establish ongoing positive business relationships with clients in person, by phone and/or email. Observe confidentiality of lawyer-client relationship.
- Assist lawyers with Marketing and Business Development functions to include: access marketing materials; print, collate and bind materials for use in meetings, pitches and proposals.
- Open new clients and matters following Records Department procedures. Prepare conflict of interest forms.
- Perform routine filing, photocopying, scanning, faxing, compiling and distributing of documents.
OFFICE OPERATIONS :
Office Administrator must be knowledgeable of client's policies, procedures, and operational standards and adapt this knowledge to Brussels law, processes, and procedures consistent with firm-wide standards. Closely works with the Brussels office Director of Administration in this area of support.
OFFICE SERVICES RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage third-party selected suppliers (couriers, caterers, contractors, stationery, IT and transportation, etc.).
- Ensure all equipment is serviced according to manufacturer requirements. Monitors for replacement parts, repairs and supplies.
- Reconcile supplier invoices for accounting purposes, including allocation of correct client file and general ledger numbers. Resolve queries and disputes related to charges.
- Monitor and maintain stock control of stationery and kitchen supplies.
- Prepare offices for new lawyers and staff (nameplates, stationery, local lists, etc.)
- Support the Director of Administration, Atlanta Facilities and IT to ensure new facilities are built out.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with landlords.
- Secure maintenance contracts for various building plant equipment including such items as air conditioning, security, cleaning and utilities.
- Maintain stock of business cards for lawyers.
With the assistance and support of central Human Resources staff and DA:
- Helps implement orientation and training programs for new personnel (lawyers and staff). Works closely and under supervision of Brussels office DA in this area.
- Create and maintain personnel files and recordkeeping requirements in accordance with local labor laws and company standards. Ensure that all personnel have the appropriate health certificates and immigration visas for all expatriate personnel and ensure that the proper authorities are notified when personnel leave the firm.
- Ensure that office is in compliance with various laws affecting the health and safety of employees, including maintaining first-aid supplies and reporting injuries.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Works closely with the Director of Administration to ensure the office remains in compliance with all firm policies and local statutory requirements.
- Ensure adequate supply of firm marketing materials are available in the office at all times.
- Assist with exhibitions, seminars, receptions and other marketing activities including, but not limited to, identification of suitable venues, supplies and contractors for event, liaison with DA and Marketing Department, client liaison related to events.
- Assist in organizing social events.
- Coordinate with the firm Technology Department in Atlanta and the London office to ensure that all office technology needs are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Monitor company's Internet and Intranet and inform DA of necessary changes / updates.
- Assist the Director of Administration with Accounts Payable.
- Track, organize and process ChromeRiver reports, reimbursements and check requests.
- Maintain office Petty Cash for small cash expenditures of the office.
- Banking (payments & receipts) and general liaison with local bank if necessary.
- Monthly billing: efficiently handle billing responsibilities on a timely basis. This includes making corrections to billing summaries, calculating disbursements and transferring changes. Finalize, print and mail bills to clients and maintain accurate billing files. Requires regular follow-up and resolving issues pertaining to e-billing or billing disputes.
TRAVEL AND VISITORS
- Advise on local facilities, hotels, etc., for visitors to Brussels office; monitor and review recommended hotels and liaise with DA to update corporate rates, when applicable.
- Prepare facilities for visiting personnel (office, docking station, laptop, etc.).
Assist Director of Administration to develop, maintain and implement business continuity recovery plans in accordance with the firm-wide practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Office Management and relevant experience in an international professional services firm setting. Masters degree is a plus.
- Preferred minimum typing speed of 65 wpm.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point as well as have proficiency in formatting documents using Styles.
- Fluency in French, Flemish and English is a must (TOEIC 750 and above).
- Ability to proofread for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Adaptability to changes in work environment and ability to handle competing demands. Able to multi-task, prioritize work and stay focused when under pressure.
- Must have clear, articulate oral communication skills.
- Must possess ability to remain professional and calm when handling difficult situations.
- Maintain a constant awareness of all activities in the office.
- Personable and willing to work as part of a team.
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Pride in self and the job.
- Proactive, reliable and flexible, possesses a strong work ethic.
- Must be conscious of public relations aspect of position.
- Previous experience as executive assistant and/or receptionist/ administrator with a law firm or similar environment is a plus.
- Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Demonstrates initiative, a “can-do” attitude and takes ownership of responsibilities and outcomes.
What we offer
- Full-time permanent position in Brussels
- Attractive salary package and fringe benefits
Hire for attitude, not just qualification